FAQs: Car Accident Reports in Missouri

Getting into a car accident can be confusing. You may be expected to take several actions following an auto accident. Often, it is hard to figure out what you are supposed to do. 

Here are some of the most common questions that car accident victims in St. Louis have about car accident reports. If you still have more questions, contact a St. Louis car accident attorney to get more answers.

Do I Have To File a Police Report?

No, but you should always contact the police after an accident. The responding police officer will decide whether to create an accident report. Typically, if an accident is minor enough, the police may not even arrive at the scene. But it’s still best to err on the side of caution.

Do I Have To File an Accident Report?

Possibly. You are required to fill out a Motor Vehicle Accident Report form and file it with the state if:

  • Anyone was injured or killed
  • There was property damage of $500 or more
  • An uninsured motorist was involved in the accident

This report must be made within one year of the accident.

Where Do I Report the Accident to?

The complete accident form must be mailed to the Missouri Driver License Bureau. The address is:

301 West High Street – Room 470
PO Box 200
Jefferson City MO 65105-0200

Where Can I Get a Copy of the Motor Vehicle Accident Report Form?

The Motor Vehicle Accident Report form is available from several sources. You can get it online. Additionally, you should be able to get a copy from your insurance company, the Driver License Bureau, or any driver’s license office. Your car accident attorney may also have copies available.

How Do I Get a Copy of My Traffic Crash Report?

When a police officer creates a traffic crash report, that report becomes a public record. You or your lawyer can request a copy of that public record to help support your accident claim. You can look up reports online at the Missouri State Highway Patrol website.

Why Would I Need a Copy of My Traffic Crash Report?

When you are injured in a traffic accident in Missouri, you have the right to get compensation for your injuries and other losses from the responsible party. That means you can potentially get compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. However, you can only obtain money from the insurance company of the other driver if you can prove that they were responsible for the accident.

The traffic crash report can support your claim that the other driver was responsible for the accident. Part of the report usually includes the officer’s opinion of what caused the accident and which driver was responsible. It may also include information like whether it was a hit-and-run accident.

If the crash report supports your claim, your attorney will use it as evidence when negotiating with the insurance company and, if necessary, at trial. 

Conversely, if the crash report suggests that you were responsible, your lawyer will need to find evidence that contradicts the opinion of the officer. Your attorney can only contradict that if they know what is in the crash report. Thus, they are likely to acquire a copy as soon as possible after you hire them.

Car Accident Reports Are a Core Part of Every Crash

Car accident reports aren’t something to worry about, but it’s important to understand their purpose and what your obligations are. That way, you’ll protect your legal rights in the event you’re eligible to file a claim for compensation. Contact a lawyer for a free consultation if you need help with a case.

Contact a Personal Injury lawyer at Roach Law Car Accident Lawyers Today

If you were injured in an accident in Missouri due to someone else’s careless or negligent actions, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your case. Your attorney will fight for fair compensation, and they don’t get paid unless you win.

For more information, contact the attorneys at Roach Law Car Accident Lawyers we proudly serve all throughout Missouri, including St. Louis County, and we have offices in St. LouisChesterfieldClayton, and Creve Coeur.

Roach Law Car Accident Lawyers – St. Louis Office
1010 Market Street, Suite 1605
St. Louis, Missouri

(314) 557-2869

Roach Law Car Accident Lawyers – Chesterfield Office
400 Chesterfield Center Suite 400
Chesterfield, MO 63017

(636) 519-0085

Roach Law Car Accident Lawyers – Creve Coeur Office
11628 Old Ballas Rd, Suite 320
Creve Coeur, MO 63141

(636) 519-0085

Roach Law Car Accident Lawyers – Clayton Office
7733 Forsyth Blvd, Suite 1100
Clayton, MO 63105

(636) 519-0085

Free case evaluation

About Us

Roach Law was founded in 2003 by attorney Kevin Roach, a leading personal injury lawyer, to protect the rights of accident victims in Missouri. Since that time, our firm has grown to feature a legal team with decades of experience in personal injury law. Our attorneys have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for injured clients, fulfilling our mission to provide every one of our clients with the individual attention they deserve while tirelessly pursuing excellent results

Areas We Serve

Roach Law Car Accident Lawyers serves injured clients throughout Missouri. We have office locations in St. Louis, Chesterfield, Creve Coeur, and Clayton to better serve accident victims across the state of Missouri.

Call Now Button